Playoffs this week (Dec 9th starting at 6pm) will be for Rec, Competitive and PowerPlus Divisions only. Playoffs for Intermediate and Power Divisions will occur the following Sunday, Dec 16th starting at 6pm.
Schedule for 12/16 is here!
Please take note of the special timing constraints for playoffs this year:
Please arrive no later than 20 minutes prior to your scheduled match time, except for 5:50 matches which should arrive at 5:35.
Please don’t arrive significantly earlier than 5:35 as the facility is in use prior to this time. For example, if your team starts in the 2nd round of play, please arrive by 6:20. You can also download a PDF of the 12/16 schedule here.
- Each round is scheduled for 50 minutes, from warm up to end of match
- The third set for all matches, if needed, will be a game to 15 points, switch sides at 8
- The championship match in each division will be a full hour
- Each match is over at the end of its allocated time slot, regardless of the game’s progress (so for example, the 5:50 match must end by 6:40), unless there is a tie, in which case one more point is played
- Teams can take up to ten minutes to warm up, but bc of the compressed schedule, time spent warming up is not spent playing. Teams may waive part or all of their warm-up time.
- If the prior match ends early, warm ups and play can start early, but still must be completed at the times allocated in the schedule (e.g, if a 5:50 match is done in two sets at 6:25, the 6:40 match on that court starts warmups immediately—at 6:25—and must be done by 7:30)
See a board member if you are confused about this, we know it’s complex. Main point: arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled match in case we can get you on the court early!
Please also take note of which playoff rounds your team may referee and do not leave until you are certain your team does not has referee duties.
The playoff schedule for 12/16 will be posted to the SCVL website, posted to Facebook, and emailed when it is ready!
Holiday Happy Hour & Cookie Party!
The SCVL Board will be hosting our annual Cookie Party Happy Hour on Thursday, December 13th, from 6:30pm – 9:30pm at 5801 Video Lounge & Cafe in Shadyside. Cookies will be provided, but if you have a favorite cookie or treat please feel free to bring any to share!
Appetizers are Buy One, Get One Free from 6–8pm along with specials on Long Island Iced Teas. RSVP on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/197716731129217/
Feel free to bring any guests. We hope to see all your smiling faces there!
Playoff Substitution Policy
Unlike in the regular season, subs during playoffs must be pre-approved by the Board so as to preserve the integrity of the original team.
In the event that your team has fewer than six (6) of its original players, you may request substitute player(s) ahead of time by emailing the Board at email@example.com. Please let us know which player(s) will be missing, and you will be provided a list of substitute players to choose from for each missing player.
***Please try to plan ahead, but the Board recognizes that last-minute absences can occur unexpectedly. If a sub is needed at the last minute, please find a Board member at the PEVA facility to get a list of approved subs for the missing player. ***
All subs must be pre-designated in this way during playoffs unlike in the regular season, when you can choose subs from the Marketplace or in person at the gym. No sub will be allowed during playoffs without the Board’s pre-approval.
REMEMBER, you can only request subs to reach a maximum of 6 players if you have fewer than 6 members of your original team.
If an approved sub can no longer continue to play with your team owing to their own team’s win in the playoffs, you may replace the sub with an alternate sub from the same list. Please see a Board member if such a change becomes necessary.
In the event that you arrange for sub(s) and some of your original team members show up, you must use your original team members before you can use any subs to fill your team to a total of 6 players.
NEW THIS SEASON – Due to scheduling constraints, playoff matches will start as soon as the previous match is finished. For example: If you are the second match scheduled, and the match before yours wraps up in two sets and ends at 6:30pm, your match will start AT 6:30 pm, with 10 minutes of warm-ups. Play may go until 11:00pm depending on how quickly matches are finished, so please plan accordingly. This is also a chance to watch other matches and cheer your friends on!
- General Structure of Playoffs—Single Elimination, Best 2 out of 3 sets
- Subs for playoffs must be pre-approved by the Board. (See full sub policy below)
- Warm-up for each match starts promptly at the conclusion of the previous match.
- Teams will be permitted a ten-minute warm-up period from the start of the match, but can begin earlier if both teams agree.
- Matches will follow the regular-season scoring format:
- Sets 1 & 2 played to 25 points, starting at 4 (win by 2, cap at 27)
- Set 3 (if needed)—played to 25 points, starting at 4 (no cap, win by 2)
- New coin toss for serve
- Switch sides at 15 points
- Unless there is a tie, matches end one hour after the start time of warm-ups. Refs, please note match start times on the score sheet, so you may reference them as needed.
- If the referee has beckoned for serve before time expires, the rally will be played; if the referee has *not* beckoned for serve before time expires, the game ends immediately without a serve.
- There is no such thing as ‘Last Serve,’ and officials NEVER should call ‘Last Serve.’ ‘Last serve’ has occurred when time expires prior to the up-ref beckoning for serve (see prior bullet).
- In the event of a tie when time expires, one more rally is played to break the tie.
- Please keep in mind that the up-ref sets the pace of the game. To ensure that all sets can be played out reasonably, do your best to keep the games moving without unnecessary delays.
- Reffing teams must be ready to start immediately after the prior match, and prior matches’ teams need to vacate the court promptly for the next match to start on time.
With a few exceptions, losing teams must referee the following match on that court. In cases where two teams are splitting refereeing duties, each should provide one referee and one line judge. Please be sure to communicate with other teams to organize who will be refereeing!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact any Board member. Thanks, and good luck in the playoffs!
Want to get involved with SCVL?
The SCVL is always looking for current members to be a part of our Board-run SCVL committees. These committees meet to discuss issues, projects or events and report important information back to the SCVL Board and to the SCVL membership. Committee descriptions are included in the form, so please click on the form link if you are interested in reading more! If you are interested in joining one of our SCVL committees, please complete the form HERE!